Last Saturday I got up early and started to work on the pattern for Tru Wuv. The idea was that it would take me all weekend to get the file ready and I’d send the pattern off to the test knitters on Monday. This way I’d have time to dye some yarn to knit along with them.
Turns out there wasn’t much to fix in the document and it took me less than half an hour, so I sent it the same day. I have to make a pause on the narrative here to say that I’m truly overwhelmed by the eagerness and good will of my test knitters. They were catching mistakes before my yarn was even dry.
The yarn is a 70% Baby Alpaca, 20% Silk, and 10% Cashmere mix, takes dye beautifully and it’s so very soft. The yardage is 1312 yds/100g, so I’m guessing I’ll have plenty of left-over.
The plan was to dye the yarn GREEN. Not teal, GREEN. BTW, the color you see on the pictures is true to life. I didn’t mix dyes to get this color, it came straight out of a jar, and that might be what caused the problem. I probably needed to shake the jar before mixing the dye with water. Oh, well…
Next time I get to play with the dyeing pots, I’ll try this one again – just to be sure about the color. If I keep on getting teal, I’ll re-label the jar.
This gradient is a time-consuming job and although I started on Saturday, I was only able to finish the dye job by Sunday.
I got lucky when it came time to put the yarn outside to dry. Even though the temperatures were mild, the yarn was dry in time for me to start knitting
the same day.
This is as far as I got by last night (Monday). I stopped after row 20 of the second chart. It was slow going because the moisture in the air yesterday was really high, so I kept on washing my hands to keep them from sweating. There was also a lot of fighting with the yarn not sliding on the needles as smoothly as I’d like.
Of course, I couldn’t let well enough alone, so I had to add beads which also slows me down a lot.
I’m hoping to be able to finish this chart today. Wish me luck.