29/6 Day one: I wasn’t sure if the Tour started today or on Monday, so I went through my day doing more mundane tasks – like grocery shopping. I finished knitting a prototype for another design and decided that I wanted to over dye the shawl, as the original color of the yarn didn’t do much for the beads I used.
I put all the blue dyes I had in the crock pot and added black and all the purples. I ended up with a very saturated dye bath, so I decided to over dye some silk fiber I had lying around:
This roving (top?) is 89.7g, which is odd. I usually dye stuff in 100g or 4 oz lots – depending on the purpose. If I’m dyeing to spin it myself, I go with 100g, since that’s the weight of a normal skein. When dyeing to sell, I make it into 4 oz lots, as this is the average weight fiber is sold.
I suspect some of the fiber was used to make a batt, mixed with some other wool and fibers.
30/6 Day two: After procrastinating for a good part of the day (spun silk is fabulous, but it’s such a PITA to spin), I finally sat down and started spinning it. I had to take an obscene amount of breaks because I have to grab the fibers tight and after a few minutes my fingers hurt.
I’m hoping to have a heavy lace weight yarn by the time I’m done.